Battenkill Books is proud to support local authors through our consignment program, which allows us to carry and feature a much wider variety of self-published and print-on-demand titles than we could through traditional purchasing. We have provided shelf space to local and independent authors for years. Please note: Battenkill Books reserves the right to refuse any book for our consignment program that is deemed unsuitable for sale in the store. Before completing the Consignment Request Form found below, please review the following guidelines:
· Please bring or mail all consignment requests – two copies of your book and the following form – in a large envelope marked “consignment request.” We are not able to accommodate walk-ins or telephone inquiries.
· To be considered for our program, you must be local (have a residence within 25 miles of our store), and your book must:
o Have a printed and bound spine displaying the title and author name (no spiral or stapled bindings, please)
o Have a 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
o Be sold at the same retail price across all outlets (including copies you might sell yourself).
· Our consignment review process usually takes two weeks – we will notify you via email of our decision to stock your book as soon as possible. Materials submitted to Battenkill Books cannot be returned by mail. If your book is not selected, we will hold all materials behind our desk for 30 days for pickup at your earliest convenience. Books not picked up within 30 days will be donated or discarded.
· When we carry your book(s) on consignment, we will display your book on either our Local Author or Local Poetry shelves for a period of three months. As books sell, we will either request additional copies from you, or purchase them from one of our main distributors (Ingram or Baker & Taylor).
· When your book is on consignment, it remains your property until sold. Battenkill Books cannot be responsible for lost or stolen merchandise.
· Upon the sale of your books, you will receive 60% of the retail value of the book per copy sold. Checks will be sent approximately twice a year, when the amount due is $25 or more. If total sales do not exceed $25 before the expiration of consignment period, you will receive payment when books are returned.
· At the end of the consignment period, we will evaluate the success of your book(s). If no books were sold, we will email you to request that you pick up your books. If we decide to continue to carry your book, we will extend the consignment period for an additional 90 days, and then evaluate the book(s) again when the additional period has expired. If we decide not to extend the consignment period, we will email you to request that you pick up your books. We will hold your books for 30 days after you’ve been requested to pick them up. Books not picked up within 30 days will be donated or discarded.
New to consignment? Here are some tips:
· Encourage everyone you know – your family, friends, and other contacts – to purchase your book(s) at Battenkill Books during your consignment period.
· Contact local media and other outreach channels to announce that your book(s) is available for purchase at Battenkill Books.
· Send out press releases, review copies, and other promotional materials to generate interest.
· Use a website, Facebook and/or Twitter to promote your book.
· Get involved with book clubs, libraries, and other organizations relevant to your book’s subject matter. The greatest success comes from a wide array of author-coordinated outreach efforts.
· Please note: Battenkill Books generally does not have the capacity to host self-published author events.
Consignment Request Form
Instructions: Complete and return this form in its entirety and bring or mail two copies of your book to Battenkill Books in an envelope marked “Consignment Request.” If you have more than one book that you’d like to be considered for consignment, complete one form for each book. We will notify you of our decision as soon as possible, usually within two weeks of book receipt. Please review program details on the previous pages for more information.
Your Contact Information
City: _____________________________________ State: ______ Zip:_____________________
Phone Number: ________________________________________________________________
Consignment Book Information
Publication Date: _______________________________________ Retail Price:______________
Signed: _____________________________________________________ Date: _____________